Friday, November 14, 2008

What Do You Think?

by Billy Williams

Matthew 26:66 (NIV) “...What do you think?" "He is worthy of death," they answered.

I find it interesting that the scripture says “He” is worthy of death, not his “offense” is punishable by death. They had left the reason of the law and had made Christ Himself the offense. The question I have for myself is, “Is He worthy of death?” I would have to respond, “Yes!”



Note that the question is not does He deserve death; it is a question of His worthiness. Without knowing, His accusers attested to the fact He alone was worthy -- though I am sure they did not understand the depth of their indictment. I struggle with the fact Christ had to endure punishment and death to reunite me with God the Father, yet I know this sacrifice was necessary and it really doesn’t have to make sense for me to believe in the worthiness of Christ to cover my sins by his death. 1 Corinthians 1:18,23-24 says, “For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 23 ...but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, 24 but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.”


God, thank You for the gift of Your Son. Thank You that You do find Him worthy of death, my death, so that I can live with You in eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment