Sunday, November 2, 2008

One Bride for Seven Brothers

by Billy Williams

Mark 12:25 (MSG) After the dead are raised up, we're past the marriage business. As it is with angels now, all our ecstasies and intimacies then will be with God.





For the title of this post to make sense you have to read Mark 12:18-27. I have read this passage of scripture countless times; tonight it hit me totally differently. I enjoy my marriage and the thought of eternity without Brenda as my spouse is a bit unnerving.
We are created as relational beings -- it is the basis of all we do and seek. Is the unsettled feeling in my soul about this passage driven by my fear of or lack of intimacy with God? It is so much easier to hold that intimacy and ecstatic connection with our earthly mate than with God, who we cannot physically touch or see.

The purpose of my marriage on earth is to teach me the intricacies
of love and relationship; at its best it is a shadow of what my relationship with God will someday be. To love my spouse like God loves me, unconditionally. To be loved without boundaries and with no lifespan time limit -- eternally. As we live out each day with each other, we should strive to love and interact with the eyes of God, in preparation and anticipation of being his eternal bride.

God, show me how to live in the now as I will live in eternity -- to love as I will be loved, to bask in the love of my wife and to love her with passion.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post, Billy. You and I have discussed what it will be like in heaven, and to no longer be husband-and-wife, and it is unsettling and a bit sad for me as well. Probably because I have no real concept of the joy and celebration that will be heaven. I needed a new perspective on this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Billy....you put into words what so many of us feel, but are too inarticulate to verbalize. You really need to collect these blogs and publish them. You married the right woman to help get it done! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Thanks for the challenging thoughts.

    ReplyDelete