Wednesday, November 5, 2008

This Side of History

by Billy Williams

Matthew 9:2,3 (CEV)
2 Some people soon brought to him a crippled man lying on a mat. When Jesus saw how much faith they had, he said to the crippled man, "My friend, don't worry! Your sins are forgiven." 3 Some teachers of the Law of Moses said to themselves, "Jesus must think he is God!"


It is so easy for me to stand on this side of history and say to myself, “Those arrogant fools don’t get it; of course He is God.” But doesn’t that make me just as arrogant? How would I have reacted or, better yet, how would I react now if someone showed up and claimed to be able to do what only God is capable of? It is often harder to believe than not to. Interestingly enough it is those in this story who are not encumbered with the teachings of the law who see Christ for who He is and readily accept His forgiveness and mercy without theological question.

With all of the commentaries and Christian resources available, I need to make sure that I don’t miss “seeing” God because I am focused on what I “know about” God. I have one of the greatest blessings at my fingertips -- the Bible and the ability to see the story of God incarnate in Christ in linear form.

Father, thank you for your Word. Thank you for allowing me to live in this time in history where I can read your story. Guard my heart, that I would stay open to who you are and what you are doing. Increase my knowledge of you but, more importantly, increase my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment